Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Beatles' White Album, 40 years later!



It became The White Album because it didn't really have a title. Enrique Cabrera has the story:

"With the White Album, the Beatles tried to surprise again the general public.

Sgt. Pepper's cover had been copied repeatedly since it was issued, but they decided this time that a completely white cover would be the best for their new album.

The title was also to be as simple as it gets (usually the title for a debut album) and the cover simply read "The Beatles" embossed in the white cover.

A serial number was the other only visible print in the record.

However inside, a poster, four colour photographs and the lyrics to the songs could be found.

The album, that originally was to be titled "A Doll's House" and was the first one to be published by Apple, became an incredible success and sold over 2 million copies during the first week in the U.S.A.

George Martin would have preferred to have less songs and a single terrific LP.

Some of us thank now the Beatles for not letting him have it his own way.

The Beatles may not be the best Beatles album (for many it is), but it certainly is the most captivating one of the lot.

Mysterious and happy, acoustic and rocking, simple but dense."

According to Wikipedia:

"The album was a major commercial success, spending a total of eight weeks at #1 in the UK (the first week being that of December 7, 1968), and nine weeks at #1 in the United States (the first week being that of December 28, 1968).

Total US sales are estimated at over 19 million copies.

Excluding compilations, The Beatles has outsold all other Beatles album releases except Sgt Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band and Abbey Road, according to United World Chart."

There were 30 songs although no single was ever released.

The songs got a lot of airplay on the radio, such as "Back in the USSR" and "Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da".

Eric Clapton played guitar on George Harrison's "While my guitar gently weeps".

The White Album was a huge success. However, it is not among my favorite albums.


The good news is that Rubber Soul and Revolver, my two favorite Beatles' LPs, rank 5 and 3, respectively.

Here is "Martha my dear", the one song that I still enjoy a great deal:

"Martha my dear
though I spend my days in conversation
Please remember me
Martha my love don't forget me
Martha my dear.

Hold your head up you silly girl
look what you've done
When you find yourself in the thick of it
Help yourself to a bit of what is all around you
Silly Girl.

Take a good look around you
Take a good look you're bound to see
That you and me were meant to be
for each other
Silly girl.

Hold your hand out you silly girl
see what you've done
When you find yourself in the thick of it
Help yourself to a bit of what is all around you
Silly girl.

Martha my dear
you have always been my inspiration
Please be good to me
Martha my love don't forget me
Martha my dear."

video

PLEASE SUPPORT OUR BLOG AND RADIO SHOW

MY BOOK: CUBANOS IN WISCONSIN

Follow by Email

MY TWITTER

Search This Blog

Loading...