Saturday, May 14, 2016

Cyrkle was great!


CYRKLE was three college students who formed a pop band in the mid-60s. Back then, groups used to play word games with their names: Beatles, Byrds, Monkees and Cyrkle.

The guys got really lucky when they were one of the opening bands for a Beatles' concert. They quickly had their first hit "Red Rubber Ball":




"I should have known you'd bid me farewell
There's a lesson to be learned from this and I learned it very well
Now I know you're not the only starfish in the sea
If I never hear your name again, it's all the same to me
And I think it's gonna be all right
Yeah, the worst is over now
The mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball
You never care for secrets I confide
For you I'm just an ornament, somethin' for your pride
Always runnin', never carin', that's the life you live
Stolen minutes of your time were all ya had to give
And I think it's gonna be all right
Yeah, the worst is over now
The mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball
The story's in the past with nothin' to recall
I've got my life to live and I don't need you at all
The roller-coaster ride we took is nearly at an end
I bought my ticket with my tears, that's all I'm gonna spend
And I think it's gonna be all right
Yeah, the worst is over now
The mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball
Oh, oh, ohI think it's gonna be all right
Yeah, the worst is over nowThe mornin' sun is shinin'
like a red rubber ball" (Paul Simon)

Their second hit was "Turn Down Day":




"It's much too groovy a summer's day
To waste runnin' round in the city
But here on the sand I can dream away
Or look at the girls if they're pretty
It's a turn-down day Nothin' on my mind
It's a turn-down day And I dig it
There's nothing easier I can do
Than lyin' around doing nothing
Soft summer breeze and the surf rolls in
To laughter of small children playin'
Someone's radio has the news tuned in
But nobody cares what he's sayin'
Things that are waiting to mess my mind
Will just have to wait 'til tomorrow"

Cyrkle recorded for a few more years but did not get to the top of the charts again. I guess that we can call them a "2 hit wonder".

It's hard to believe that Cyrkle did not enjoy more success. Their harmonies were great.

PLEASE SUPPORT OUR BLOG AND RADIO SHOW

FOLLOW MY BLOG

LISTEN TO OUR RECENT SHOWS

Check Out Politics Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Silvio Canto Jr on BlogTalkRadio

Follow by Email

MY TWITTER

FACEBOOK

Search This Blog