Thursday, December 27, 2007
Iraq, the charts and a little historical perspective!
The guys at Power Line have lots of charts about Progress In Iraq:
"You'd almost think the guy who devised and implemented the strategy should be the Man of the Year."
Of course, Iraq is more than charts or putting the general's face on TIME magazine.
It is about the Iraqi people who are clearly moving over to our side and coming together.
Bruce Gilley is an assistant professor of political studies at Queen's University. He wrote In Iraq's success, Bush's vindication:
"Iraq's democracy may be failing some congressional benchmarks, but it is succeeding beyond appropriate expectations that account for Iraq's cruel legacies, its income level, and its short lifespan."
In previous posts, we have supported the Iraq War because it was in the national interest of the US. Iraq is a battle in the war on terror.
Like any other war, this conflict had its tough moments, i.e. the winter of 1863 for Lincoln or the spring of '44 for FDR.
For Bush, it was 2006 when sectarian violence unleashed in Iraq. 2007 was a turnaround year, as the charts and graphs clearly show.
However, there is no magic bullet to fix Iraq anymore than there was to fix the nations of Europe after WW2.
Christmas Eve, 1947 by Donald F. Burton recalls a winter 60 years ago when Germany was recovering from WW2.
In 1946, LIFE Magazine ran a cover entitled Americans Are Losing the Victory in Europe! Pres. Truman lost the House and Senate in the 1946 mid-term elections because the post-war brought serious challenges abroad and at home!
Like Lincoln or FDR-Truman, Bush did not quit and kept looking for victory. Bush deserves a lot of credit for keeping his eye on the goal. (The Resolute President)
We are not quite finished in Iraq. Yet, we are headed in the right direction and a little more patience, and historical perspective, is needed.
It would help if some Dems would stop playing politics, too! (Heads in the Sand on Iraq Progress)
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG
- ► 2012 (573)
- ► 2011 (857)
- ► 2010 (869)
- ► 2009 (1364)
- ► 2008 (1272)
- 2007: Year 7 of the long war on terror!
- Mexico does not want illegal immigrants, either!
- What planet are Iowa Dems living in?
- The biggest story of 2007 was all of those new US ...
- 2007: It was a tough year to raise a teen daughter...
- A great quote from Iraq 2007
- The 5-way tie for the Republicans!
- Pres. Bush was the man of the year
- Dumbest attack of the year: Moveon.org goes after...
- The dumbest quote of 2007
- "Country lanes", one of the best ones from The Bee...
- The Supreme Court and the 2008 election
- Memo to Dems: Come to FOX News and you will like i...
- My comments on The National Review predictions!
- My favorite articles of 2007
- Senator Harry Reid was an embarrasment in 2007!
- Friday's show: A chat about GOOOH!
- Pakistan's nuclear weapons
- A good one from Theo Caldwell in Canada!
- Phil Rizzuto and some of the others we lost in 200...
- Arizona is an interesting immigration case study!
- The world needs a strong US president!
- The suicide bomber brings reality back to Iowa and...
- Iraq, the charts and a little historical perspecti...
- The US soldier is the person of the year
- The media and the truth about Iraq
- McCain's character is shining through
- Why do we love George Washington?
- My favorite blogger of 2007
- Fidel's legacy will be a tiny museum for the lefti...
- Don't make fun of Marie Osmond!
- Merry Christmas from the new Iraq!
- MERRY CHRISTMAS----FELIZ NAVIDAD
- A little Christmas history
- Have you done all of your Christmas shopping?
- The best Christmas political ad!
- Nativity scenes belong in our public places
- A lawsuit at your Christmas party?
- Friday's show: Rick Johnson talks about fathers &...
- The silly scandal over what Gov. Romney said about...
- What a shock! 400 Scientists don't buy it!
- Guess what? It's Friday and more good economic ne...
- Iraq is suddenly very boring!
- What is anti-Americanism really about?
- Don't blame pretty Jessica but the Cowboys don't w...
- Did global warming melt a few brains, too?
- The corrupt Clintons are made for each other, cont...
- Wednesday's show: A chat with Media Lizzy and Rick...
- The left goes lunatic over the White House fire
- Hillary Clinton's latest "charm" offensive!
- The Magical Mystery Tour (40 years ago)
- Memory Lane: It was Pres. Clinton!
- Cindy is out to impeach Nancy Pelosi, cont.
- What about baseball's Hall of Fame?
- Monday's show: Iraq and the political endorsements...
- Let's talk about Iraq rather someone's religion!
- Well done, Joe Namath!
- Iraq was the story of 2007
- Obama Part 2 won't be as good as Obama Part 1!
- Judge Bork endorses Gov. Romney
- Congratulations Patriots!
- The Dems need to stop pandering to the left!
- Weekend humor: What were the Dems thinking a long...
- Dr. Biscet continues to make friends all over the ...
- It's been a tough 4th quarter for the Dems!
- Friday's show: Good news from Iraq and bad news fr...
- The Dems are still in the 8-track world!
- Maris' 61 and Aaron's 755 HRs must be the standard...
- Whatever happened to the war in Iraq?
- The Pope stands up for common sense in global warm...
- Mark Davis got it right on waterboarding!
- A tough campaign (so far) for Hillary Clinton
- Candidates OK but moderator and questions stunk!
- Dear Arianna: Didn't you vote for these poll read...
- First, it's Arianna. Now, it's the pink ladies!
- The Dems and waterboarding
- NATIONAL REVIEW endorses Gov. Romney
- Why are the Dems so nostalgic for the Clinton year...
- Monday's show: A chat about Canada
- The Republican debate and Univision
- Gov. Romney's message and the empty churches of Eu...
- Remembering Odessa by The Bee Gees!
- Iraq continues to go in the right direction!!!
- We support Dr. Ferrer in Cuba!
- Keith Olbermann is lousy TV!
- Friday's show: A chat about Mexico and dissidents ...
- Weekend humor: Al Gore brings back a Bee Gees' cla...
- A little rough but not a recession!
- You can't trust Iran until they do a Lybia!
- Great speech, Gov. Romney
- A year later, Pres. Bush is getting everything on ...
- Big headline in Canada!
- Wednesday's show: Venezuela and the latest from I...
- Gov. Romney's religion is not an issue with me!
- Monday's show: A chat with Jorge Gonzalez about Ve...
- On mental health, Republicans lead by quite a lot!...
- Clinton double talk at its best!
- Dear Venezuela: Say no to Chavez!
- Weekend note: Too many lawsuits!
- What will the poll readers say next about Iraq?
- Dios mio! Mexico has a Michael Moore!
- Go ahead Hugo! Stop selling us oil!
- Where are the feminists?
- ▼ December (103)
- ► 2006 (1045)
- ► 2005 (400)