Wednesday, November 21, 2007
Prof. VD Hanson and Europe
Something funny is happening in Europe. See Iraq’s Savage Ironies:
"The war in Iraq — as all wars — is fraught with savage ironies.
In the build-up to the invasion, anti-Americanism in Europe reached a near frenzy.
It was whipped up by French President Jacques Chirac and German Chancellor Gerhard Schröder, and evoked warnings of an eternal split in the Atlantic Alliance.
If Iraq had proved a catalyst for this expression of near hatred — fueled by long-standing angers and envies — it soon, however, proved to be a catharsis as well.
Both leaders overplayed their hands when the U.S. had already begun downsizing its NATO deployments in Germany.
Elsewhere, Europeans started to have second thoughts about alienating America at a time of rising Russian belligerency, and suffered from increased worry over radical Islamic terrorists, at home and abroad.
The result is that their successors, Nicolas Sarkozy and Angela Merkel, are staunchly pro-American in ways their previous governments were not, even well before the Iraq War.
And given the increased jihadist threats to Europe, worries about Iran, and the consistency of the U.S. effort in Iraq and Afghanistan, these governments may well have learned — in a way they did not anticipate in 2003 — that there really is no other ally like a steadfast United States, in these unstable times."
That's right! At times like these, it pays to sit under the US nuclear, or military, umbrella.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG
- ► 2012 (573)
- ► 2011 (857)
- ► 2010 (869)
- ► 2009 (1364)
- ► 2008 (1272)
- Friday's show: Jonathan Henry on Iraq!
- CNN goofed big time!
- The US economy makes fools of the "doom and gloome...
- In the US, you must speak English!
- Don't blame some of us for scratching our heads!
- Rep. Hyde was one of my favorite Republicans!
- No knockout punches but CNN needs help!
- Wed's show: Allan Wall and a review of the situati...
- Romney is right about families
- These two are made for each other!
- The controversy over the NFL network!
- War? What is it good for? Read and find out!
- They call it "Flambée"
- 2008 is all about the judiciary!
- We remember Brig. Gen. Tibbets!
- Jimmy Rollins, great MVP choice
- My bet is on the dollar!
- The "how did this happen" Democrats?
- We support Pres. Sarkozy
- The border mess is real!
- Monday's show: A chat with Cassy!
- No diversity on the Dems' side!
- What a great Thanksgiving weekend!
- So what about that dollar and the US economy?
- Required reading: Walter Williams on class warfare...
- The incredible Naomi Wolf
- Thanskgiving 1967 and The Bee Gees's "Massachusett...
- Thanksgiving humor: Hillary and the turkey
- Go Texas A&M Aggies! Beat Texas!
- The 10-1 Cowboys proved me wrong and that's great!...
- Happy Thanksgiving to you and family
- Iran and the story of the scorpion
- On Thanksgiving, we say thanks for the great work ...
- The Clinton's Thanksgiving dinner
- Prof. VD Hanson and Europe
- The "20%" Democrat Congress!
- Spain, the trial and terrorism
- We didn't quit and that's why things are looking g...
- Can someone whisper something in Pres. Calderon's ...
- On trade, Hillary Clinton sounds more like Nader t...
- Good morning: The BBC has a left bias!
- The Iraqis are smiling and it's about time!
- Sarkozy is not backing down
- After further review, CNN didn't do a good job!
- Monday's show: Don, Rick and Jerome
- The Democrats refuse to see success in Iraq
- Send a message to an injured soldier!
- New citizens want immigration laws enforced!
- Joe Nuxall, the answer to a great baseball questio...
- The Dems are coming after your wallet!
- Our new friends in Europe!
- Why should we believe what Hillary Clinton is sayi...
- Friday's show: An update on the debate and politic...
- Who is still apologizing for Hugo Chavez?
- Why so much silence about Iraq!
- On illegal immigration, the Mexican government doe...
- Can the Dems say victory?
- Is Hillary a control freak?
- Bad polls for the party of poll readers!
- Bush hatred is now beyond insanity!
- It's Thursday: What position will Hillary Clinton...
- Clintonism 101: Bill pardons, Hillary gets contrib...
- Don't back down Pres. Sarkozy!
- Wednesday's show: Baseball and those 8-1 Cowboys!...
- Hillary and those planted questions!
- Why is Bill O'Reilly so successful?
- Where is the good news on the front page?
- Is Hillary Clinton inevitable like the Mets?
- Watch out for illegal immigration in 2008!
- The 0 for 40 Dems are batting .000!
- No troops plus an unwillingness to fight equals US...
- Monday's show: Lots of issues today!
- Is Senator McCain back in the game?
- Dear Hugo: I think that you need a "cambio" in st...
- Can some Dems afford to see success in Iraq?
- Thank you King of Spain! Thanks for telling Hugo ...
- A weekend for heroes: Happy Veterans Day and Happy...
- The Dems should listen to Lieberman!
- A great photo and good news from Iraq!
- Sarkozy comes to the US
- Friday's show: We talk about Dr. Biscet, Cuban pol...
- Before you get all worked up about global warming....
- Listen to the tape: Bill coaches Hillary!
- Cartoon: Will you miss the writers?
- Hillary Clinton is not the first Democrat to have ...
- It's getting interesting for the Republicans
- Wed's show: A conversation with Jack Kelly
- I guess that Dick Morris doesn't like Hillary Clin...
- The real problem with the Clintons!
- The Dems will make the case that the war on terror...
- How low can the amazing Sr. LO go?
- Where is Jesse Jackson when a Cuban gets thrown in...
- Monday's show: A look at newspapers and declining ...
- On immigration, the "free ride" is over for the De...
- You can't negotiate with Iran without the military...
- Your weekend cartoon and the California fires
- A real hero in Castro's prisons!
- The 40 year old Dandelion!
- The anti-choice Democrats!
- Don't gang up on the little woman!
- The Hillary waltz
- The Dems need to stop torturing the judge!
- Friday's show: What's going on in Iraq?
- Friday and another great jobs report!
- Hillary Clinton will tell you.....after the electi...
- More bad news for the doom and gloom crowd
- Now, Hillary is a victim again!
- Clinton-talk is all about dancing around issues
- ▼ November (108)
- ► 2006 (1045)
- ► 2005 (400)