Monday, May 21, 2007
Now, let's watch the Dems argue about immigration!
For six years, the Dems had the best of all political worlds. They were the minority party in the House, Senate and White House. They enjoyed the good fortune of being the political equivalent of a Monday morning quarterback. Their strategy was to "say no to Bush" or "blame Bush"!
On immigration, the Dems flirted with the Hispanic vote and accused the Republican majority of being anti-immigrant, anti-Mexican, anti-Spanish and anti-everything.
Now, the minority is the majority in Congress. The Speaker of the House and Senate Majority Leader are now Democrats.
What are the Dems going to do about immigration reform?
We got an early answer when Nancy Pelosi did not include immigration reform in her 2007 agenda. Pelosi decided to punt because she understood how divisive the issue is. See this from November 2006! (Democrats May Proceed With Caution on Immigration)
What's the problem? The Democrats have 3 problems:
First, the "open borders" and "amnesty" crowd won't support anything short of the legalization of every illegal immigrant. They want a path to citizenship now and 12 million new Dem voters in 2008! This group has already reacted negatively to the "compromise" by calling it too expensive and complicated. By the way, this is the same group that will call you a "racista" if you don't agree with them!
Second, the labor unions are not crazy about any temp-visa because it creates a steady source of cheap labor. After all, why hire a unionized worker if you can "outsource" your projects to foreign temp workers?
Third, the Dems have a bunch of new congressmen elected in very conservative districts. They ran on a "tough on illegal immigration" platform. Where do the new Democrats stand on immigration? See this!
Do you understand now why Nancy Pelosi did not want to touch immigration reform? (Immigration Issue Starting to Bite Democrats)
KIMBERLEY A. STRASSEL wrote:
"The new majority wants to keep the focus on Republicans, but the reality is that any final deal could come down to whether Democrats are able to keep their own party on board with reform." (Blurring the Borders )
Over the next few weeks, I will enjoy watching Dems operate in the real world. No more free lunch! No more blaming Bush! Let the Dems explain to Hispanics why they can't come up with an immigration bill either!
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG
- December (40)
- November (87)
- October (108)
- September (87)
- August (79)
- July (62)
- June (70)
- May (71)
- April (60)
- March (43)
- February (46)
- January (55)
- December (40)
- November (35)
- October (47)
- September (35)
- August (33)
- July (43)
- June (53)
- May (58)
- April (58)
- March (54)
- February (53)
- January (64)
- December (66)
- November (47)
- October (64)
- September (75)
- August (70)
- July (83)
- June (83)
- May (85)
- April (74)
- March (73)
- February (63)
- January (74)
- December (82)
- November (70)
- October (67)
- September (58)
- August (72)
- July (92)
- June (76)
- May (69)
- April (67)
- March (61)
- February (56)
- January (99)
- December (120)
- November (89)
- October (97)
- September (109)
- August (115)
- July (115)
- June (121)
- May (121)
- April (112)
- March (127)
- February (107)
- January (131)
- December (116)
- November (98)
- October (107)
- September (90)
- August (104)
- July (137)
- June (131)
- May (129)
- April (96)
- March (84)
- February (95)
- January (85)
- December (103)
- November (108)
- October (94)
- September (85)
- August (70)
- July (90)
- June (84)
- The Reagan Diaries is a wonderful trip back to the...
- My show on Thursday: We support the people of Vene...
- Some Mexicans were very rude to Miss USA
- Chavez is showing his true colors
- Read The New York Times at your own risk
- A new view of abortion
- The terror manual: Are you still confused about t...
- What is Spain's PM Rod-Zapatero saying today?
- Sorry! I don't want to read another article about...
- The parties and national security
- A little e-mail humor for your long weekend
- Thank you to the US soldier for fighting our enemi...
- The 18-32 Rangers
- Memorial Day is about heroes like Nathan Aguirre
- Abortion and future workers
- No one is popular in Washington these days!
- A great thought about Pres. Carter
- It's time to leash Gore!
- Hugo Chavez has a familiar plan
- The federal deficit
- What now in Iraq?
- Michael Moore, US liberal vs Corki Aguila, Cuban d...
- The Dems are political cowards but it is Bush's fa...
- Today, we will talk to the Mitt Romney campaign
- Thank God we are showing some force off Iran!
- Immigration reform is a very sticky issue
- Is there a bigger fraud than John Edwards?
- Why are liberals afraid of talk radio?
- What can we learn from the old "brasero" program?
- The Democrats and Iraq!
- Gas prices and taxes
- The lawsuit madness
- Al Qaeda is in Iraq!
- Some thoughts about Mexico
- What would Groucho Marx say about this?
- Now, let's watch the Dems argue about immigration!...
- The disconnect between the political class and the...
- Jimmy Carter has a lot of nerve!
- We have a long way to go....
- Fred Thompson goes after Michael Moore
- My interview with Allan Wall
- The poll readers in the Democrat Party
- A quick report card on the debate
- A word about Rev. Jerry Falwell
- Immigration, national security and the rule of law...
- Why isn't the media asking about the Democrats' P...
- Is Mexico ready for a real war?
- The real sicko is Michael Moore
- Happy Mothers Day!
- Great Cartoon: The NY Times news room reacts to S...
- Another good Friday of economic news
- Why were Democrats rude to Pres. Uribe?
- What will happen to Sharpton for these remarks?
- Where are Americans going?
- Happy Mothers Day (Latin America)
- Please listen to my show on BlogTalk Radio
- What a shock: The NY Times hates Sarkozy
- Are you still listening to the BBC and reading its...
- Do not read if you are negative!
- How can some Democrats believe this?
- Some of the marchers need a dose of common sense!
- They like Pres. Calderon in Mexico
- Gingrich on the war on terror
- Our sides loses....so we burn your car!
- Why are you still reading TIME?
- Check out a new Mexico website
- Another post on Pres. Calderon
- Tenet's book has backfired!
- Tonight, we welcome France back to the West!
- 2008 will be about national security
- The Mavericks will be back!
- Humberto Fontova and Cuba's health care hoax
- Expensive dry cleaning?
- Hillary's new (and won't be the last) position on ...
- Thank you Mexicans!
- Guess who is supporting Pres. Bush in Iraq?
- "Cinco de Mayo" is not Mexico's July 4th!
- 'La fuite des jeunes' and "la securite" should win...
- The party of poll readers
- McCain knows best: Surrender is not an option
- How about McCain-Romney?
- Why did Tenet get so much money to say nothing?
- How does Guiliani-Thompson sound to you?
- 7 too many!
- Romney was great last night!
- Are politicians in Washington hearing the public o...
- Everybody wants to be the next Reagan
- Two more Al Qaeda leaders killed in Iraq but....
- Has anti-Americanism peaked in Europe?
- McCain and a new UN
- What Pres. Bush actually said!
- Concealed weapons protect us from criminals!
- No Fidel yesterday!
- Few marchers but voters can't stop talking about i...
- Guess who said this?
- Eddie Haskell superstar!
- Gore in Canada
- Good post on illegal immigration
- What's going on? Al Qaeda and chlorine gas in Ira...
- A quick word on the Dems debate
- First of May (remembering The Bee Gees)
- April (111)
- March (109)
- February (98)
- January (105)
- December (120)
- November (109)
- October (142)
- September (120)
- August (109)
- July (78)
- June (63)
- May (45)
- April (40)
- March (72)
- February (81)
- January (66)
- December (82)
- November (46)
- October (33)
- September (39)
- August (42)
- July (32)
- June (30)
- May (28)
- April (9)
- March (24)
- February (18)
- January (17)