Thursday, September 21, 2006
What else did The Pope say?
Pope Benedict has created a huge controversy. Yet, much of what he said has gone unreported.
George Weigel, a senior fellow of Washington's Ethics and Public Policy Center, is the author of "God's Choice: Pope Benedict XVI and the Future of the Catholic Church." Today, he wrote The Pope Was Right..
The Pope sent a message to the West:
"If the West's high culture keeps playing in the sandbox of postmodern irrationalism — in which there is "your truth" and "my truth" but nothing such as "the truth" — the West will be unable to defend itself. Why? Because the West won't be able to give reasons why its commitments to civility, tolerance, human rights and the rule of law are worth defending. A Western world stripped of convictions about the truths that make Western civilization possible cannot make a useful contribution to a genuine dialogue of civilizations, for any such dialogue must be based on a shared understanding that human beings can, however imperfectly, come to know the truth of things."
Weigel has written about secular Europe before:
"The demographics are unmistakable: Europe is dying. The wasting disease that has beset this once greatest of civilizations is not physical, however. It is a disease in the realm of the human spirit. David Hart, another theological analyst of contemporary history, calls it the disease of “metaphysical boredom”--boredom with the mystery, passion, and adventure of life itself. Europe, in Hart’s image, is boring itself to death."
Brett Stephens is a member of The Wall Street Journal's editorial board. Today, he wrote Pope Provocateur:
"A Europe that cannot understand its own religion, except as a form of subjective irrationalism, cannot possibly engage another. A Christianity that voluntarily recuses itself from reason cannot sustain a belief in the goodness of its convictions, to say nothing of its truth. A West that abandons a critical dialogue between faith and rational inquiry ceases to be the West. It becomes, in a peculiar way, guilty of the same errors Benedict accuses Islam of making. This is the pope's teaching, and it requires no apology. Notice that he offers none."
We have spent days talking about the Pope vs. Muslims. Yet, the Pope said much more than that. He sent all of us in the West, and specially Europe, an important message.
Are we listening? Has anyone read his speech?
Posted by Silvio Canto, Jr. Post Link ---> 5:33 PM
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG
- ► 2012 (573)
- ► 2011 (857)
- ► 2010 (869)
- ► 2009 (1364)
- ► 2008 (1272)
- ► 2007 (1158)
- Why are so many legal immigrants opposed to open b...
- Pres. Bush wins a big one in Congress
- The German opera is the latest chapter (and there ...
- TO and his PR lady should apologize to the Dallas ...
- What Hugo wants!
- Why should Mexico care about a fence?
- It's a whole new ballgame and The NY Times does no...
- The American left feeds the hate America industry
- The attacks on Jews!
- Do people seriously think that Clinton planned thi...
- Texas contrasts: A real hero in Houston, a first ...
- The Iraq War critics who do not offer any solution...
- The irresponsible New York Times
- Are Democrats born this way?
- Why are mothers angry with Senator McCain?
- 7-11 sticks it to Hugo!
- Finally, a Mexican official who makes sense on ill...
- Everything is wonderful in Cuba.....really?
- The Mexican baby invasion
- Finally, the NIE report
- Blame it on FOX News and avoid dealing with the tr...
- The New York Times should stop running stories tha...
- A Latin American perspective on Hugo Chavez
- How does Monica feel about this interview?
- Clinton's terrible (or selective) memory
- What did we learn about Pres. Clinton's character?...
- Cartoon of the day: The UN is a first rate joke
- Hugo Chavez is hurting Venezuela not the US
- Is Osama dead? Check the 9 reasons that Osama may ...
- They'd be selling insurance if we had not invaded ...
- Bush-hate is killing the Democrat Party
- More Clinton on FOX
- What a pathetic performance: Bill Clinton on FOX N...
- Let's get out of the UN
- America Alone: A new book by Mark Steyn
- A good word about the US soldier
- Can I go to Caracas and say all of this about Chav...
- It's been a horrible week for Popeye and spinach l...
- Chavez and the American left
- The Chavez backlash: Why are Democrats lining up ...
- Novak sees 1938 all over again!
- What else did The Pope say?
- Hugo, a category 5 headcase!
- What's going on in Cuba?
- Thanks Hugo! Thanks for making Bush's point!
- Is Hugo Chavez out of control?
- We need the female perspective on Iran
- The Pope's remarks
- Cuba is a mess!
- I do feel sorry for mothers this week!
- The Path to 9-11, a week later!
- Down in Mexico, LO and his "parallels" drag on!
- Rosie is idiot # 1
- Your dog, the marriage counselor
- Let me recommend this post!
- We are at war, whether you like it or not!
- Republicans will hold House and Senate
- The Democrats are the distraction
- Why is "good news" bad for the doom and gloom part...
- On this one, McCain is wrong!
- The upcoming Goldwater documentary on HBO
- What's next with Iran?
- LO's expensive sidewalk show
- Stephen Johnson has a word about Mexico's LO
- Are Democrats serious about their war on Wal Mart?...
- Why are gas prices going down?
- Tony Blair is the only one telling the truth over ...
- A note about Anne Richards
- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is right about this!
- El Grito will be a little different this year!
- What rights does a terrorist have?
- Does your wife need another reason to buy shoes?
- What are Canadians saying in this poll?
- The Path to 9-11 movie, part 2
- So everybody hates the US......
- How sick (and out of touch) is the American left?
- How is this war going?
- Pres. Bush speaks to the nation
- George from Matanzas died on 9-11
- Sorry Mexico, CDS is in full bloom!
- Remember the innocent people killed on September 1...
- The Path to 9-11 movie, part one
- Are we safer today?
- Al Qaeda is in Iraq!
- Why do you want the US to fail in Iraq?
- The lonely boy at the tent?
- The 9-11 report proves Clinton wrong!
- How can a movie drive these people to such hysteri...
- Mitt Romney is great!
- Let's get serious about terrorists!
- The new Fidel-Hugo video
- Why is Pres. Clinton so angry over a movie?
- A woman's wisdom
- Another bad morning for the doom and gloom crowd!
- Bring it on Pres. Bush! You have a winning hand!
- Memo to husbands: Do not shoot your wife's favori...
- It's time for a little cleaning up in Mexico!
- More on the upcoming ABC Sept 11th movie!
- Will anyone apologize over the Joe Wilson matter?
- No more marches, por favor!
- The latest on Pinocchio's nose!
- Who died in Mexico?
- Sorry Mexico: You ain't seen nothing yet!
- The ABC 9-11 TV series
- Let me make your day: Janet Jackson endorses Hill...
- Memo to Mexicans: Don't let your leaders go Frenc...
- We'd like to give you more good news about the US ...
- Happy Labor Day: We have a good economy unless you...
- Some Labor Day hypocrisy from the Democrats
- Why is the media so slanted on Iraq War coverage?
- Adios, Richard Egues
- Labor Day Special: Do we want this couple back in...
- Democrats have lost the religious voter!
- Question: Who is going to defend Mexico?
- "Remesas" up 23%
- El Chevrolet Cubano (The Cuban Chevrolet)
- Rush is right: This is beyond sick!
- So long, Joe Wilson!
- Another bad Friday for the "doom and gloom" crowd
- The Wal-Mart nonsense
- ▼ September (120)
- ► 2005 (400)