Sunday, May 21, 2006
Barry hits 714th!
Some of us are old enough to remember Mantle's last homerun in '68. Or, Mays and Aaron hitting their 500th, 600th and so on.
Of course, I remember Aaron tying and breaking Ruth's record. It was a Monday Night Game early in '74. The pitcher was Al Downing of the LA Dodgers. I can remember Aaron rounding the bases and getting a handshake from Bill Russell, the Dodgers' shortstop.
He was greeted at the plate by a young Dusty Baker. Tom House, who later served as the Rangers' pitching coach caught the ball in the bullpen.
It was very exciting. Like many fans, I was invested in Aaron's achievements.
Sorry but I don't have that feeling today. Bonds just does not have the same positive impact on me that Aaron or Mays did.
Maybe it's because I grew up loving Mantle, Aaron and Mays. Maybe it's all the stuff about steroids.
Shortly, Bonds will pass Ruth and go after Aaron's 755. According to reporters who have been following him, Bonds looks tired and worn out. He is 41 and his injuries are catching up with him.
Retire Barry. Hang it up and leave Aaron's record alone.
You can check Bonds' 714th by clicking this video.(http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060501&content_id=1427974&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)
Posted by Silvio Canto, Jr. Post Link ---> 8:01 AM
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG
- ► 2012 (573)
- ► 2011 (857)
- ► 2010 (869)
- ► 2009 (1364)
- ► 2008 (1272)
- ► 2007 (1158)
- Well done Rangers!
- Andy Garcia's "The lost city"
- Build a fence around Senator Durbin
- Memorial Day 2006
- So Barry hits # 715th
- Pray for a landslide in Mexico
- Kyle Drabek, future Major League pitcher!
- Let's check the baseball standings
- See you later, Carlos
- We will have an immigration bill by Labor Day
- My vote: The greatest play in baseball history
- No mothers, no countries
- Lloyd Bentsen was a good man
- The inmature children of the left
- So happy to be wrong
- I love Avery Johnson but......
- Clinton will say anything but I expect better from...
- Great article about Katrina
- The 22-21 Rangers complete a very tough road trip
- Barry hits 714th!
- Hayden up, USA Today down
- Dear Mr. Derbez
- Pres. Bush, the tax cutter
- Cuba on a Human Rights Commission?
- Good Snow
- Yankees 14, Rangers 13
- Now it's Mexico's turn
- A quick reaction to the President's speech
- How are these teams going to sell tickets?
- Smile: We can win in November
- What a silly poll from CNN
- Happy Mothers' Day
- What would Truman say?
- Warfare changed on 9-11
- Fidel and his millions of dollars
- It's immigration, Mr. President
- The end of 7th heaven
- The movement: One week later
- Let's cheer for the black GOP
- No ARod bashing here!
- The 17-12 Rangers
- Galbraith and Rukeyser
- Good news on the economy, bad news on Iran
- We have witnessed political suicide!
- Silly Washington
- ▼ May (45)
- ► 2005 (400)