Friday, March 17, 2006
A note on Iraq
Dave Ignatius writes in The Washington Post:
"But there are unmistakable signs here this week that Iraq's political leaders are taking the first tentative steps toward forming a broad government of national unity that could reverse the country's downward slide."
Iraq is going to have good days and bad days. We must understand that and stick with the Iraqi people.
Al Qaeda has a clear strategy. Blow up everything and kill as many innocent people as possible.
Why? Because Al Qaeda understands the US news media. It understands that their horrific acts will get more publicity than all of the good things going on in Iraq.
Stick with the Iraqi people. Support them.
Speaking of Iraq, former Sec. of State George Schultz delivered a great speech. Tom Bevan of RCP has a summary:
"Schultz, who traced the war on terror back to the 1970s, divided the struggle into three stages.
The first period, which lasted until Sept. 11, 2001, was marked by U.S. passivity and inaction toward terrorist attacks. Even in the 1990s, the U.S. government was aware of Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda but failed to check their growth, much like American inaction during Hitler's rise to power, Shultz said.
"The terrorists had completely free reign," he said.
September 11 set off the second, active military phase of the war against radical Islam, Schultz said. Americans were now aware that terrorist groups could target not just sovereign states, but also world finance, tourism and even air travel.
At present, with the war in its third stage, Schultz said that economic and military sustainability are vital for America to prevail. And in Iraq, he said, Americans must remain dedicated to the cause."(http://www.realclearpolitics.com/blog/2006/03/schultz_at_princeton.html)
Sec. Schultz makes an excellent point. In the 1990s, we did not check the growth of terrorism and were very weak on Iraq. The result was 9-11 and Saddam's perception that we would not fight.
Posted by Silvio Canto, Jr. Post Link ---> 6:19 AM
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG
- ► 2012 (573)
- ► 2011 (857)
- ► 2010 (869)
- ► 2009 (1364)
- ► 2008 (1272)
- ► 2007 (1158)
- Photos from the march: How to make enemies in the ...
- What is Che doing in these marches?
- How to create a big backlash
- I remember March 30, 1981: Pres. Reagan is shot!
- Respect the flag
- Who let the students out?
- Some thoughts about Chavez
- Sec. Caspar Weinberger and Lyn Nofziger
- Does Lopez-Obrador really want to be president of ...
- Another Cuban political prisoner!
- Bring on the censure resolution
- I agree with Charlie Cook on the 2006 elections
- More from the Saddam documents
- Go Longhorns!
- Who is living in denial now?
- Sen. Clinton wants to be criticized by the anti-wa...
- Gore is not running (he can't win)
- Why isn't Pres. Bush doing more press conferences?...
- The terrorists do not like The Bush Doctrine
- I like Pres. Bush's hand
- Great job market for college graduates
- What if Pres. Bush had not invaded Iraq?
- Craig Biggio of the Houston Astros
- Nobody came to the anti-war parade
- They hate the US not violence!
- Reality comes to France
- Two new articles about Saddam and Iraq
- The angry left wing
- Stop funding the UN
- Go Michael Go!
- Why so much doom and gloom in the media?
- A note on Iraq
- March madness is great
- Happy Republicans
- Syria and Iran
- More good news on hiring
- Who are these Koreans at the WBC?
- Russ can't find any Democrats
- Ralph Peters from Iraq (must reading)
- Guess who is angry with Democrats?
- A word about abortion politics
- Russ "No Spine" Feingold
- Raul Rivero speaks!
- Jay Cost speaks about 2006
- Do it Senator Feingold!
- The real homeland security problem
- Barone on 1994 vs 2006
- The media is wrong on Iraq and the economy!
- The new RCP
- The WBC needs some changes
- Another Friday, another day of good economic news
- And now what?
- Air Hate America
- The real civil war!
- Al Qaeda wants a civil war!
- Another day and no civil war!
- Some in Vermont need to get serious!
- Puckett memories
- Taxing remittances
- Iran killing US soldiers!
- Message to George Clooney!
- Well done, Supreme Court!
- What are the critics really saying?
- Kaplan on the ports
- Texas congressional districts
- Does anybody care?
- This is about likely voters!
- How about some leadership on the ports?
- Let's move on!
- Speaking of the US-Mexico border
- Good news about manufacturing
- California's exodus
- ▼ March (72)
- ► 2005 (400)