Tuesday, January 10, 2006
Alito Day 1
I did not watch the Alito hearings. I did hear a chunk of it on NPR radio. So far, Alito had a good day.
The Democrats are desperately trying to turn a Judiciary Committee hearing into a national referendum on abortion. They can't win elections but they can make a lot of noise.
Frankly, bring it on.
Let Sen. Kennedy be the face of the Democrats. I want Kennedy and Schumer to be the faces of the liberal party.
As for Sen. Schumer, he ran into a little problem at Meet the Press this weekend: (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/blog/2006/01/russert_nails_schumer.html)
"Yesterday on Meet the Press Tim Russert nailed the major weakness for the Democrats when it comes to defeating Alito:
MR. RUSSERT: But here’s the situation, as many people see it. When Ruth Bader Ginsburg was put forward by Bill Clinton, she had been general counsel for the ACLU. Steven Breyer has worked for Ted Kennedy, and yet they were overwhelmingly confirmed because they had competence and temperament, as you say. And even though they had a more liberal, judicial philosophy than many members of the Senate, it was a Democratic president who had the right to make that nomination. If, in fact, Republicans supported Ginsburg and Breyer, why shouldn’t Democrats support Alito, who has been rated well qualified, the gold standard of the ABA, and whose philosophy may be conservative, but is no more conservative than Ginsburg and Breyer were liberal?"
Sen. Kennedy went even further. He attacked Judge Alito over the weekend.
(Read "Teddy Kennedy's Incredible Attack on Alito" by Ed Whelan http://bench.nationalreview.com/archives/086247.asp)
The left is making a big mistake. They are going to regret turning the Supreme Court nomination process into a Bork circus. It worked in '87. It won't work in 2006!
Liberals caught the conservatives flat footed in the Bork hearings. Not anymore. We are ready to hit back and we will.
Posted by Silvio Canto, Jr. Post Link ---> 5:15 AM
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG
- ► 2012 (573)
- ► 2011 (857)
- ► 2010 (869)
- ► 2009 (1364)
- ► 2008 (1272)
- ► 2007 (1158)
- How can 42 Dems vote against Alito?
- Mrs. King was a great lady
- A pro-life trend?
- Some new numbers from Rasmussen
- The Ted Kennedy video: Ted's meltdown
- No filibuster on Alito
- Super Bowl memories
- Some ideas from The Chamber of Commerce
- Sometimes the bad guys do what they say!
- Soldiers, a tunnel and more problems at the border...
- Some ideas for the 6th Bush state of the union spe...
- New Jersey US Senate update
- Who is Joel Stein of The LA Times?
- Congratulations PM Harper
- Why a party vote for Alito?
- Wonderful TV: The story of John & Abigail Adams
- Hayden speaks about the NSA program
- Super Bowl 40 is next!
- Required reading from Michael Barone
- Carville & Begala on Meet the Press
- Governor Swann of Pennsylvania?
- Rachel's Vineyard
- McCain vs Clinton
- Pres. Reagan 25 years ago
- Osama is losing and we are winning
- Sad to hear of Wilson Pickett's death
- Why not school choice for inner city kids?
- Kennedy and the all male club
- Another type of corruption
- Somebody forgot to tell Gore
- The NFL Final 4
- Bad news and good news about Al Gore
- The Saddam documents
- The "always about abortion" Democrats!
- Will Mexicans vote?
- Iran and WMDs
- Bush and the courts
- The anti-Bush TV ads in Canada
- David Brooks hits one out of the park!
- A Harper in Canada's future
- Americans want terrorists caught!
- The Alito hearing is about political posturing
- Day 2: Alito is doing great
- Sutter is in!
- Alito Day 1
- Hooray for The Bull Moose
- Democrats and Abramoff
- Democrats and the NSA
- Abortion and more abortion
- Jack Abramoff's corruption
- Will the Alito hearings turn into a circus?
- Have you replaced your LPs with CDs?
- Hayes reports on the Saddam--terrorists connection...
- Alito gets an "A"
- Would you have believed this 20 years ago?
- The Nancy problem?
- The wonderful Texas Longhorns
- The Risen book is out
- Some Democrats are not serious about terrorism!
- Good article on Iraq, Mr. Peters!
- Why are liberals afraid of black Republicans?
- The US economy at the new year
- The 9-7 Cowboys are finished
- Jan 2, 1966: Packers beat Browns to win the NFL t...
- 2006 will be an important year in Mexico
- Happy New Year Dick Clark
- ▼ January (66)
- ► 2005 (400)