Friday, December 09, 2016

December 9, 1980: John Lennon, the morning after


25 years ago, I woke up to the news that John Lennon was killed overnight in New York.  Millions heard the news during the Monday Night Football game.  I went to bed early in the 4th quarter and missed it.

By '80, Lennon's career was at a crossroads. He had just released "Starting Over", a catchy new single from the upcoming "Double Fantasy" LP.

I remember buying the single and feeling good that Lennon was finally over the political stuff from the early 1970s.  Between "Imagine" and "Starting Over", Lennon and Yoko flirted with a lot of crazy stuff.  It turned me off and I did not buy any Lennon music for much of the 70s.

So many years has flown by. It seems only yesterday that I was cheering Reagan's 1980 landslide and Lennon's new music.






PLEASE SUPPORT OUR BLOG AND RADIO SHOW

FOLLOW MY BLOG

LISTEN TO OUR RECENT SHOWS

Check Out Politics Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Silvio Canto Jr on BlogTalkRadio

Follow by Email

MY TWITTER

FACEBOOK

Search This Blog