Wednesday, September 07, 2005
How to stay out of poverty
Check out Walter Williams, one of the nation's best economists, and an African American.
Born in Philadelphia in 1936, Williams holds a bachelor's degree in economics from California State University (1965) and a master's degree (1967) and doctorate (1972) in economics from the University of California at Los Angeles.
In 1980, he joined the faculty of George Mason University in Fairfax, Va., and is currently the John M. Olin Distinguished Professor of Economics.
Williams has written a classic on poverty. It should be read by every young man and woman in our high schools:
"Avoiding long-term poverty is not rocket science.
First, graduate from high school.
Second, get married before you have children, and stay married.
Third, work at any kind of job, even one that starts out paying the minimum wage.
And, finally, avoid engaging in criminal behavior." (http://www.townhall.com/columnists/walterwilliams/ww20050511.shtml)
Posted by Silvio Canto, Jr. Post Link ---> 8:35 PM
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG
- ► 2012 (573)
- ► 2011 (857)
- ► 2010 (869)
- ► 2009 (1364)
- ► 2008 (1272)
- ► 2007 (1158)
- ► 2006 (1045)
- Rep King spoke for many of us!
- The anti-war crowd puts on another show
- Torre out? Angels in!
- Some thoughts on Europe
- Clinton was dead wrong and here are the charts!
- The "new" New Orleans
- The Indians, Tim McCarver and the end of Palmeiro
- Roberts should be confirmed
- Why is Pres. Clinton talking so much?
- ARod for AL MVP
- Andruw Jones for NL MVP
- How do historians view Bush?
- The Cowboys' Big Three: Aikman, Smith and Irvin
- The new voices in the African American community
- Baseball's wonderful conclusion
- Bush's speech in New Orleans
- One nation under what?
- Toni Fritsch was an NFL pioneer
- Who are you watching?
- Goodbye Mark Messier
- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is correct on same sex ...
- NS Trojans win!
- Do the Democrats really want an investigation of w...
- Michael Young: The best trade in Rangers' history...
- Good news: GWH Bush tollway keeps expanding
- Some interesting news about job creation
- Kofi's levee could not hold the truth
- How to stay out of poverty
- The Posse Comitatus Act: Why didn't Pres. Bush sen...
- So Mary wants to punch George!
- What's next for New Orleans?
- Bush and the Supreme Court
- How about some personal responsibility?
- The left's lies about the National Guard
- Sorry. The 2000 election did not create a surge i...
- Unemployment down to 4.9% but what about Katrina?
- A little memory lane: Bill Clinton and flood cont...
- No room for partisans
- Katrina Bush
- ▼ September (39)