Tuesday, May 31, 2005
Baseball at Memorial Day 2005
There are 3 guideposts in the baseball season:
Memorial Day: roughly one third of the season
All Star Break: mythical half way point
Labor Day: the pennant race stretch (last 25 games)
So let's look at the standings.
In the AL East, Baltimore leads Bos & NY by 4 games. The O's are playing at a .620 pace which translates into 100 wins. It won't happen. Baltimore won't win 100 games and will fizzle out. My money is on NYYankees winning this division. I am not so optimistic about Boston, although they may win enough games to win the wild card again!
In the AL Central, it's the Chisox playing at a .667 pace, or a projected 108 victories. It won't happen. The Chisox will slow down considerably and Minnesota will sneak in with a strong finish. This is going to be a very exciting race in September but only one will move on the post season.
In the AL West, Texas and the Angels are a virtual tie. The Angels should win this division but the absence of Vlad Guerrero is killing them. The Rangers continue to amaze me because they have a very talented core of young players and their pitching has been excellent so far. Nevertheless, I think that the Angels are just a little bit better than the Rangers.
In the NL East, the Marlins, Mets, Nats and Braves have a wonderful 4 team race. I like the Marlins' young pitching. This could be a 3 team race in September. I think that the Nats will eventually fade.
In the NL Central, St Louis is running away and will win by 10 games. It's going to be a long year for everyone else in this division.
In the NL West, San Diego and Arizona are surprises. I think that the LA Dodgers will make it close but SD will win.
So let's check out my predictions at the All Star Break in 6 weeks.
Posted by Silvio Canto, Jr. Post Link ---> 11:00 AM
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG
- ► 2012 (573)
- ► 2011 (857)
- ► 2010 (869)
- ► 2009 (1364)
- ► 2008 (1272)
- ► 2007 (1158)
- ► 2006 (1045)
- Baseball at Memorial Day 2005
- No to Chirac!
- What happened to the spirit of the compromise?
- Two pollsters have more bad news for Dems
- Another Friday of good economic news!
- Why is someone using the word gulag?
- Congratulations to my son Silvio
- Parental notification
- Very liberal Howard is costing the Dems money & vo...
- Judges, filibusters and the secular agenda
- Who made these terrorists angry?
- Wake up! The enemy wants to kill you and me
- Abortion and a future mother's health
- We need more diversity in the newsrooms!
- The media shoots itself again!
- Compensation for support (the latest definition of...
- Some advice for Vicente Fox
- Will you sell your euros now?
- The worthless UN
- Iran and North Korea
- What Bill Clinton wants you to forget about North ...
- Happy Mothers Day
- It doesn't take a village. It takes 270 electoral...
- Bush leads and the Democrats just say no!
- The 11-19 Yankees!
- It was a good week!
- 63% versus the secular brigade!
- No more Vietnams!
- ▼ May (28)