PRES BUSH IN CANADA
The bad news is that many Canadians suffer from the deadly disease of anti-Americanism.
The good news is that Prime Minister Paul Martin is not one of them.
My guess is that PM Martin has read the US election results in exquisite detail.
Martin is a liberal but he is not a stupid liberal.
Martin does not want Canada to turn into another France in the eyes of the 61 million people who voted for Bush.
After all, 61 million Americans may be "dumb" but they buy a lot of Canadian goods and services.
As I said, Martin is a liberal but he is not a stupid liberal.
Martin understands that the Liberal Party went too far in supporting Kerry.
Canadian liberals violated the cardinal rule of geopolitics:
Don't get involved in your neighbors' elections.
And if you do, pray to God (or whatever they pray to in secular Canada) that your side wins.
Sorry Canada. Your guy lost.
But Canada lost too!
Canada has very few friends among the guys who won the elections of '00, '02 and '04.
Canada is isolated from the US governing majority.
Martin is a political realist and understands electoral numbers.
Bush won a majority of the popular vote, the first one to do it since Bush '88.
Bush is the first President since FDR to increase seats in back to back elections.
Bush carried 98 of the top 100 fastest growing counties in the US.
Bush carried 31 states. What does this mean? There are 62 Senators who represent states carried by Bush.
Bush carried 26 of the 31 states by margins in excess of 20 points. That's a lot of Americans buying Canadian goods and services!
The Republicans now control the Senate, 55-44-1. There are 16 Democrats up for reelection in '06 and they are aware of Tom Daschle's fate.
The latest Gallup has Bush at 55%.
Who is going to carry Canada's water in the US Senate? I have no idea and neither does Paul Martin.
The liberal spin is that Bush went to Canada to mend fences. That's about 20% truth. The other 80% is that Martin wants to mend fences.
Bush was elected and reelected without Canada. Martin can not keep his job without American consumers.
So look for a cordial relationship between Martin and Bush.
Martin will bring Canada closer to the US, which is good for both sides.